Educational applications are currently one of the most promising sectors in the world of information technology. With the emergence of new technologies, such as artificial intelligence, blockchain, and the Internet of Things, the opportunities for the development of educational applications are greatly expanding.
Benefits of educational apps
Let’s discover the benefits of educational applications and reasons why they will remain relevant in the future:
Increased access to education.
Digitalization provides the opportunity for people globally to access educational resources regardless of their location. With online courses, virtual classrooms, and digital learning materials, students can learn from anywhere and at any time.
More personalized learning.
Educational apps enable teachers to personalize their teaching methods to match the individual needs and learning styles of each student. This allows students to learn at their own pace and in their own way.
Online education has made it easier for students and teachers to collaborate and work together. Digital tools such as discussion forums and virtual classrooms allow students to share ideas, ask questions, and work together on projects.
Digital tools can make learning more engaging and interactive. Videos, animations, and interactive simulations can help students better understand complex concepts and retain information more effectively.
Digitalization can help reduce the cost of education by eliminating the need for physical textbooks, reducing the need for travel, and making it possible to learn from anywhere. This can make education more affordable and accessible to more people.
Many administrative tasks can be automated with such tools. Thus, educational apps serve as perfect grading and attendance tracking, freeing up teachers’ time to focus on teaching and student engagement.
The overall number of mobile device users using educational apps is growing rapidly. According to App Annie’s 2020 study, the number of educational app downloads has increased by 90% over 2016. In 2020, educational apps saw 350 million downloads, and educational app revenue reached $2.8 billion.
With most people using mobile devices to access information, educational apps are becoming more and more in demand. Educational app developers can expect the market to grow as people continue to seek education and development, even if it’s in the format of online courses or other apps.
Types of educational apps
There are many types of educational apps that can be created. They can range from apps designed to develop specific skills, such as learning languages, to apps that help people earn certificates and degrees. Here are a few of the most common types of educational apps:
- For learning languages
- For studying programming
- For completion of online courses
- For the expansion of professional development skills
- For exam and test preparations
Essential features & technology
Creating an educational app requires certain features and technologies. If you’re planning to create such products with education software development companies, you may negotiate the following functionality elements:
- The opportunity to set goals and track progress. It would be useful to allow users to set goals and track their progress so they can measure their progress and stay motivated.
- Interactive features. Another great suggestion is to implement interactive features such as quizzes, assignments, chat rooms, and forums so that users can interact with each other and with instructors to improve their learning experience.
- In case your software is designed for users all over the world, it should support multilingualism and be able to translate content into different languages.
- Online sync. Educational apps should have online synchronization features so that users can access their progress and content on any device.
- Artificial Intelligence. The use of artificial intelligence can greatly improve users’ learning experiences. For example, machine learning algorithms can help tailor content to the user’s level of knowledge.
- Data security. It is critical to ensure the solid security of user data, including the storage of personal information, payment data, and test results.
Cost of creating an educational app
The cost of creating an educational app can vary greatly depending on the type of app, complexity of features, and design requirements. However, if you want to create an MVP version of an educational app, you will only need a basic set of features.
The cost of developing an MVP version of an educational app can range from $20,000 to $50,000 in 2023. If you want to create a full-featured educational app, the cost can go up to $100,000 or more.
Examples of educational apps
There are many successful educational apps that can be an inspiration to you if you decide to create your own with The educational appendix. Some of them are:
- Duolingo-a language learning app that is extremely popular because of its interactive learning system and game-based approach.
- Coursera- an online learning platform that offers access to online courses from leading universities and companies around the world.
- Khan Academy – a learning platform that offers free online lessons and assignments on various subjects for all levels of education.
- Quizlet – an app for learning and memorizing facts and terms that offers a variety of features such as question-and-answer cards, games, and quizzes.
- SoloLearn – A programming language learning app that allows users to learn and practice their skills through interactive lessons and games.
We offer you several monetization models for educational apps:
- Paid app downloads. The fee to download the app or to access the full version.
- Users can pay to access additional features and content for a specified period of time.
- The app can contain advertisements that can generate revenue for developers.
- Free-to-use. The product may be free, but customers can pay for additional content or features.
- Data sales. Developers can sell user data, but this can lead to privacy and security problems.
Creating an educational app is a great opportunity for those enthusiasts who want to help people learn and grow. But in order to create a successful app, you need to consider not only the technical aspects but also the needs of the users and the specifics of the market. Although the cost of creating an educational app can be high, if you invest money and effort, your app can become popular and profitable in the future.
Author Bio : Yuliya Melnik is a technical writer at Cleveroad. It is a web and mobile app development company in Ukraine. She is passionate about innovative technologies that make the world a better place and loves creating content that evokes vivid emotions.